Cat trees are extremely popular in households with cats, mainly because they are ideal for playtime and sleeping. Cats love to be in safe places, especially when they are high and can see everything, so cat trees are their favorite. Give your furniture a break from your cat’s claws and check out our top 10 best cat trees for large cats. We also go into detail about why they are beneficial to your furry feline and what you need to consider before buying.
- Our Pick of the Best Cat Tree for Large Cats in 2019
- 1. Go Pet Club Huge 87.5 inch Cat Tree Condo – Best Overall
- 2. SONGMICS 62” Large Cat Tree Condo Multi-Level Cat Tower – Best for Multiple Cats
- 3. CozyCatFurniture Cat Condo – Best Save Place
- 4. SONGMICS 67” Multi-Level Cat Tree with Sisal-Covered Scratcher Slope – Featuring Sky High Perches
- 5. Go Pet Club Cat Tree 80”– Luxurious and Perfect for A Family of Cats
- 6. New Cat Condos Solid Wood – A Simple and Easy-To-Assemble
- 7. New Cat Condos Premier Triple Cat Perch – Perfect for Smaller Households
- 8. Cat Tree for Large Cats – Cat Empire Beige – Best Splendid
- 9. Cat Tree for Lage Cats – Big Cat Palace beige – Relax in Style
- 10. Armarkat Cat Tree Model – Features Plenty of Toys and Beds to Relax In
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Some Tips
Our Pick of the Best Cat Tree for Large Cats in 2019
1. Go Pet Club Huge 87.5 inch Cat Tree Condo – Best Overall
If you find yourself with a lot of cats that need room to play, then the Go Pet Club Huge 87.5 inch Cat Tree Condo is the one for you. We have chosen this cat tree for the number one spot because it is diverse. It provides a lot of condos and platforms for your cat to explore and lounge around on. Covered in faux fur for optimal luxury, there are also scratching posts covered in sisal rope to keep them off your furniture. The beige and brown cat tree also benefits from a ladder, a suspended platform that swings and two mice that the cats can play with. While this cat tree condo house is a little more expensive, it is one of the best on the market.
One of the best things about this cat tree is the amount of features it has to keep your cat entertained. They can make the most of the following:
- 3 big condo houses
- 2 smaller condo houses
- 2 tunnels
- A swinging platform
- 2 top perches with beds
- 2 toy mice dangling from a string
- A ladder
- Multiple scratching posts
This cat tree is perfect for multiple cats because of the size. It stands at 87.5” tall, with a length of 42” and a width of 23.5”. They will never be bored with all the entertainment options.
2. SONGMICS 62” Large Cat Tree Condo Multi-Level Cat Tower – Best for Multiple Cats
Slightly smaller than the cat tree in the number one spot, the SONGMICS 62” Large Cat Tree Condo is a close second with multiple levels and scratching posts. The spacious condo has plenty of room and ideal napping spots for your cats. The bed at the highest level even has raised edges to offer more protection. This is a safe and sturdy cat condo that has an anti-toppling strap included and a batten-strengthened base to ensure stability. You won’t have to sacrifice on quality as it is made from the premium material such as CARB-certified boards.
There are a lot of positives to the SONGMICS multi-level cat tower. Each platform has something unique to keep the cats entertained for hours on end, where you will find:
- Levels for them to jump on
- A spacious condo to hide in
- A single tunnel for them to crawl through
- A sisal-covered scratching pad
- Luxurious top perch with extra-thick plush
- Multiple posts covered in sisal, perfect for their claws
It can accommodate cats of different sizes with its impressive height of 61.4”, a length of 23.6” and a width of 19.7”. Even though it is large, you will find it easy to put together with a simple screw-together assembly.
3. CozyCatFurniture Cat Condo – Best Save Place
The CozyCatFurniture Cat Condo Corner comes in five different colors; beige, brown, blue, gray and green, to match the décor of your house. One of the smallest cat trees on this list, it is perfect to be tucked away into a corner to save on space. While it may be small, it is perfect for bigger cats as it is durable and stable, offering them the perfect place to relax. It may not have the extra entertainment that some of the structures on this list have, but it does have the essentials.
Made from solid wood posts and covered in plush carpet, your cats can make the most of the:
- Top cat bed with raised edges for safety
- Condo at the base of the structure to hide in
- Sisal rope scratching pole at the back
- Cat toy made of feathers under top perch
There is no need for instructions as the cat tree arrives fully assembled. It has a height of 33”, with a length and width of 20”, meaning it won’t be distracting to the décor of your house.
4. SONGMICS 67” Multi-Level Cat Tree with Sisal-Covered Scratcher Slope – Featuring Sky High Perches
Looking for a cat tree with multiple levels and plenty of features where your cat can play and sleep? The SONGMICS 67” multi-level cat tree is the perfect activity center for your cat. The multi-layered playhouse will keep them busy for hours, as well as providing a cozy home for them to nap on. The structure is made from CARB-certified natural particle boards that will provide stability. It also has battens at the bottom and an anti-toppling feature to secure the tree to the wall.
This is a very busy cat tree, so we have broken it down for you. Here are all the amazing features that your cat can benefit from, whatever their size:
- Large scratching pad that acts as a ramp
- 2 comfy condos for them to hide in
- 3 plush perches that have raised edges for safety
- 3 little balls hung on ropes to play with
- Lots of sisals covered posts to scratch
Weighing 60 pounds, this structure stands at 67”, with a length of 23.6” and a width of 21.6”.
5. Go Pet Club Cat Tree 80”– Luxurious and Perfect for A Family of Cats
The Go Pet Club Cat Tree 80” seems more minimalistic in its design and is one of the tallest cat trees in our top 10. Perfect for medium to large sized cats, it is made from sturdy, compressed wood and is covered in beige faux fur for that luxurious look. There are multiple platforms for the cats to explore, which will keep them entertained for hours. As well as this, there are plenty of scratching posts covered in sisal, so they will leave your furniture alone. While this is one of the largest cat trees, it is priced well for the quality you receive.
Likened to a cat Kingdom or palace, this tall cat tree has everything your cats could want. They can make the most of the:
- 4 smaller platforms of varying sizes
- A small round condo to hide in
- Side basket made from plush
- Large condo with a little window cut-out
- Two top perches with raised edges for safety
- 3 mice hanging down from the top platforms to play with
- Sisal covered posts to scratch
Despite having a height of 80”, a length of 30” and a width of 40”, this cat tree is easy to assemble with instructions and tools included.
6. New Cat Condos Solid Wood – A Simple and Easy-To-Assemble
Compared to previous cat trees on this list, the New Cat Condos Solid Wood has a more simplistic design. While there are no scratching posts or condos for the cats to hide in, there are multiple levels for them to climb and explore. It arrives fully assembled in the box, so there is no need for instructions and lots of screws to set it up.
Not only do you have the bonus of not needing to set it up, but you also have the benefit of knowing it is made from solid wood. This means it is extremely sturdy and has the following features:
- 4 platforms at different levels
- A top platform with raised edges for safety
- Covered in plush household grade carpet
- Thick base to prevent it from falling over
This cat tree is perfect if you want something that is tall but will fit in a smaller space. It stands at 70” tall, with a width and length of 20”.
7. New Cat Condos Premier Triple Cat Perch – Perfect for Smaller Households
The New Cat Condos Premier Triple Cat Perch is perfect for people that don’t want to set up the tree themselves. It arrives fully assembled, so all you have to do is take it out of the box and let your cats enjoy it straight away. You can choose to have it in either beige, brown, blue, green or gray, to match any décor in your house. Made from solid wood to last, this cat tree is guaranteed to stand the test of time for your cats.
This cat tree is perfect if you are looking to save space and still entertain your cats. They can make the most of:
- 3 platforms with raised edges for safety
- 2 posts covered in sisal rope for scratching
- Covered in the household carpet to make it comfortable and long lasting
The compact cat tree has a height of 32”, and a width and length of 20”. This makes it perfect for homes with less space.
8. Cat Tree for Large Cats – Cat Empire Beige – Best Splendid
The Cat Empire is a cat tree for large cats and comes in beige to match any interior. With a weight of 143 pounds, this is no small cat tree, so you must make sure that you have enough space before purchasing as it is for indoors. As it is a tall structure, it is made from strong ABS to make it sturdy, without the need to attach to a wall. It is durable and offers plush lounging options, making it the perfect option for a household of cats.
There are a number of levels to the Cat Empire to keep your felines entertained. They can make the most of:
- A condo at the bottom of the structure
- Large platforms for the cats to go up and down easily
- 2 rotatable hammocks that have an added pillow for comfort and can hold up to 44 pounds
- Large bed with a 2-inch thick pillow and raised edges for safety
- All the posts covered in sisal for scratching
The sisal rope and plush that covers the structure is glued down to the surface so it cannot be tugged loose or broken off. One of the largest cat trees on this list, it has a height of 72”, a length of 47” and a width of 24”.
9. Cat Tree for Lage Cats – Big Cat Palace beige – Relax in Style
The Big Cat Palace is the perfect cat tree for large cats and it won’t take up as much space as others on this list. It is a sturdy structure that weighs 68 pounds and will support their weight on the cat tree. Assembly is extremely easy, which means it will be set up in no time and includes a toolkit as well.
Perfect for cats that want to lounge around and relax, the Big Cat Palace has the following features:
- Lower platform with a pillow that attaches on with Velcro
- Condo for cats to hide in
- Large perch at the top with raised edges and a detachable Velcro pillow
- Posts with sisal rope for scratching
- Large platforms that are easy to go up and down on
This is a great cat tree for people that want to buy a luxurious structure for their cat and still save space. It has a length of 28”, a width of 20” and a height of 47”, making it perfect for any household.
10. Armarkat Cat Tree Model – Features Plenty of Toys and Beds to Relax In
The Armarkat Cat Tree Model comes in a variety of colors and sizes to suit every household of cats. The brand is recognized for their quality, endurance and style, which is something that this cat tree model has. Weighing 55 pounds, it is a sturdy structure that is made from pressed wood and covered in faux fleece and sisal rope.
There is plenty on this cat tree to keep your felines happy and entertained, as well as providing a safe place to relax. They can make the most of the following:
- 6 different sized platforms
- Rope hanging down from the third platform
- A condo with a diamond window cut-out
- Two perches with raised edges for safety
- A little ball dangling down from the top platform
- Posts covered in sisal rope for scratching
The structure is tall but relatively slim, meaning it is suitable for most households. It has a length of 32”, a width of 27” and a height of 78”.
Things You Need to Consider Before Buying
Before you decide to jump in and buy a cat tree for your furry feline, there are some things you need to consider. You want to choose the best one for your pet that they can enjoy and relax on. In this part of guide we will show you the things to think about before making that important purchase.
There are a variety of different sized cat trees on the market, but you need to choose one that suits your cat. Not every cat tree will hold the weight of a large cat that weighs more. There are even some that are small for kittens, so they can get used to climbing. Always check the manufacturer’s guide for the maximum weight the structure can hold, especially if multiple cats will be using the cat tree.
Cat Tree Styles
As there are lots of manufacturers producing cat trees, there are an array of styles to choose from. Some are modern and minimalistic, with simple platforms and beds for the cats to relax on. They often have sophisticated designs and don’t take up a lot of space. Then there are cat trees that are luxurious with soft bedding and faux fur covering the structure. They also tend to have hanged baskets or hammocks that act has beds. Most will feature scratching posts, little toys dangling from rope and ladders to climb up.
You can have tall cat trees that reach up to 80 inches, or smaller ones that will fit neatly under a windowsill. There is also the option to buy cat trees that are specifically made for the garden and will stand against any type of weather.
Cat Tree Material
The majority of cat trees are made from wood, so it is sturdy and is often covered in fleece, carpet or faux fur. This makes it extremely comfortable for the cats and is glued down to the wood, so it won’t come off. They are also paired with scratching posts covered in sisal rope that is durable against their claws. Some cat trees also have removable beds that can be washed and attached with Velcro. However, wooden cat trees are quite popular as well because they are durable and can be used either inside or outside depending on where your cat prefers to be. A lot of wooden structures will feature the scratching posts and some toys to keep them entertained.
Are They Easy to Assemble?
While there are some cat trees that come fully assembled, most need to be put together. There are even reviews online that will show if a certain brand or structure was easy to make. They always come with instructions to follow and have all the screws and tools you will need to build it. For larger cat trees you may need a second pair of hands to fit all the pieces together, but most will only need one person.
How Much Space Does It Take?
A lot of people like to have their cat trees in the living room, so they can keep an eye on their cats. How much space you will need will depend on what size structure you buy. The wider it is, the more space it will require. Always check the manufacturing details for the dimensions and measure the space you want to place it. That way you will know if it will fit, or if you need to search for another one.
Why Should You Get a Cat Tree?
There are a lot of reasons why people would want to buy a cat tree. Here are some of the ones that will convince you to think about it as well.
A High Place to Climb, Rest & Sleep
Out in the wild, cats love to roam and climb trees. A man-made cat tree allows them to do the same in the safety of their home. They aren’t afraid of heights and will love going on the different platforms. This is especially true if they can look down on everyone and see what is happening. Cat trees also allow them a safe place to rest and sleep. We all know cats spend a lot of time sleeping and resting. However, it can be difficult for cats to fall into a deep sleep if they aren’t sure they’re safe. Sleeping in a bed or condo on a cat tree will help them to relax and nap during the day.
Something They Can Scratch
How many times has your furniture been ruined by your cat scratching it with their claws? With a cat tree you won’t have to worry about this ever again. The majority of cat trees will have posts wrapped in sisal rope, which is a coarse natural fiber. It is durable and will hold up against your cat’s claws.
Something They Can Get Fur On
The worst part about allowing cats on your furniture is the amount of fur they get everywhere. This is worse during the warmer months when they shed their fur to a summer coat. Having a cat tree means they can spend their time there instead and their fur shedding will be confined to a smaller area. It will make things much easier when it comes to cleaning up after them.
If you own a cat and a dog, you will know that sometimes the cats need their own space. A tall cat tree offers just that and allows them to be on their own without annoyances. The multiple levels and condos are perfect hiding spots for shy cats and even work as separate from other cats. As much as they like being around others, sometimes it’s nice to have some peace and quiet.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding cat trees.
Are These Things Really Safe for Large Cats?
Smaller cat trees may not necessarily hold a large cat’s weight, so you have to double check the weight limit before buying. Larger structures often come with a strap at the back, which can be attached to the wall. This reduces the risk of the cat tree falling over when there is a large cat or multiple cats on it. Looking at the reviews will give you a good idea of other people’s experiences with the cat tree.
How Long Is Their Durability?
It really depends on the material of the cat tree. Those that are made from wood are sturdy and will last longer, however, scratches will show if there isn’t any carpet or sisal. Cat trees can also be made from corrugated cardboard, a lightweight and budget-friendly alternative to wood. They won’t last as long and are prone to rips and tears. Sometimes it pays to buy a more expensive, wooden cat tree in the long run.
Can It Keep Cats Off My Furniture?
Cat trees work quite well at keeping cats off the furniture, but it isn’t absolute. There may still be times when they want to curl up on the sofa with you or scratch their claws on the dining table. However, most people say that their cats spend more time on the cat trees than they did before. Sometimes training is in order to help them learn that the cat tree is where they need to be.
Is your cat uninterested in his new cat tree?
Cats can sometimes take their time getting used to new toys and the same can be said for their cat tree. You buy the best and most incredible structure that has so much to keep them entertained, yet they won’t go near it. It can be a little disheartening, but there are some tricks to get them more interested in the cat tree. Follow these tips to entice them into giving it a go:
- Place the cat tree in a room they frequently visit. If it is placed in a room they rarely go to, they won’t pay attention to it. It’s even better if it’s near a window so they can peer outside at the people passing by. After all, cats love to watch over everything from a safe height.
- Give them treats while on the cat tree. Picking them up and placing them on the cat tree won’t be enough. Pay them lots of attention while on the tree with their favorite treats, as well as stroking them and showing them love. Hiding the treats or the favorite toys on the different levels of the cat tree will also encourage them to be more adventurous.
- Make the cat structure comfy and inviting. Sometimes cats like to stick to what they know best, so moving their favorite bed to the new cat tree can entice them to try it out. It is also best to make sure the structure is safe and secure, as something that is wobbly will make them less likely to use it.
Clean The Cat Tree :
Once your cat is used to the cat tree and spending all their time on it, you will find that it won’t stay clean forever. If there are lots of cats it will be worse, with lots of cat hair becoming stuck to the material covering it. As well as this there is the sisal rope on scratching poles that will shed and leave a mess. Whatever dirt is on it, you have to make sure it is kept clean or your cats won’t be interested in the cat tree anymore. Using a vacuum cleaner with the carpet brush will clear up those hairs, as well as using pet-friendly cleaning supplies to get rid of any messes.
Cat trees can offer your furry feline everything they need. It can be a place where they can hide or relax while sleeping, as well as entertaining them. The multiple platforms allow them to stretch their legs and expel some energy before relaxing in the evening.
There are a lot of factors to consider when purchasing a cat tree, as well as being one you can afford. We hope that our top 10 cat trees and the buying guide can help you choose the right one for your cat.