- Wet Kitten Food vs Dry Kitten Food: What’s the Difference?
- 8 Best Wet Kitten Foods in 2019
- Wellness Complete Health Kitten Chicken Pate
- Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Kitten Entrée
- Nature’s Variety Instinct Grain-Free Kitten Food
- Purina Pro Plan Focus Indoor Care
- Royal Canin Nutrition Kitten Food
- Fancy Feast Grain-Free Kitten Food
- Tiki Cat Luau Canned Cat Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Wet Cat Food, Kitten
Kittens are so much fun, and you are just in love with your newest addition – a sweet, playful kitten. Your kitten will rely on you to give it the best care and to provide it with love and nutrition. You want to be sure you’re giving the new kitten the best care that you can.
Choosing food for your kitten can be so hard. There are so many food options so many of them claim to be the best, but you want to make an educated decision and know that you are giving your kitten the right food for them.
You should also know that the best food for your kitten may not be the same as the best food for your neighbor’s kitten. Just as with humans, kittens have varying dietary needs and you may need to try a few before you decide what your kitten likes best and what does not negatively affect their health and digestive systems.
We will share with you the top 8 wet kitten foods currently on the market and break down into detail what you should look for in your wet kitten food to provide you an overall guide to choosing the best wet kitten food for your new sweet pet.
Wet Kitten Food vs Dry Kitten Food: What’s the Difference?
The question I would assume you have first is why wet kitten food? Don’t you need to train your kitten to eat dry food to accommodate them as they age to an adult cat? If you give your kitten wet food, will you have to give them wet food for the rest of their lives?
Wet food and dry food both have unique attributes and likewise, each has advantages and disadvantages as well. The great thing is, you are the caretaker of your kitten and you can determine which you prefer, and which works best for your kitten.
As you consider whether you will use wet or dry food, consider that as a kitten it may be easier for your kitten to eat wet kitten food. If you determine that you want to use dry food, work up to it slowly to give your kitten plenty of time to adjust.
Nutritionally, wet food and dry food are quite comparable.
Wet Kitten Food
Kittens tend to love wet food. They hear you open that can and they know it’s mealtime. The cans are pre-portioned to provide your kitten with just the right amount so they don’t gorge themselves and get sick.
Wet food also has additional moisture content that can have a positive effect on your kitten’s urinary tract and kidneys. The added moisture provides extra hydration and could be beneficial to a kitten that has additional health issues as well.
Wet food could be a bit messier as you must open the can and dish the food out to your cat. It’s also quite possible that your cat will be a messy eater, but cats groom themselves well and clean up nicely. Wet foods can also be more expensive for the volume of food.
Dry Kitten Food
Dry food comes in bags of many sizes. The bags tend to store well and typically will not go bad as long as you clip them shut and store them well. Because of the quantities and overall amount you can get in a bag of dry kitten food, it is more cost-effective.
Your cat may not enjoy dry food as much. They still hear the bag and come running when it’s mealtime, but there is just something special to a cat about that can being opened. Wet food almost makes mealtime a special treat.
With dry food, you can pour your kitten’s serving in a dish and leave them to it. Some cats do well with this, but unfortunately, some cats have no will power and will gorge until they make themselves sick. You can control this by measuring or portioning your cat’s food.
8 Best Wet Kitten Foods in 2019
You want to select wet kitten food that is formulated for your kitten’s health. This wet kitten food balances everyday nutrition and taste for the perfect satisfaction and health of your kitten. The Wellness kitten chicken pate is made with all-natural ingredients and is designed to give your kitten the best nutrition available.
- Grain-Free, packed with necessary everyday nutrition needs
- All-natural ingredients
- Flavored with chicken, cranberries, carrots, and flaxseed
The Blue Buffalo brand is well known for providing nutritious wet food that kittens love and the wet kitten food they offer is highly recommended for kittens. The amounts you feed your kitten increases as they age, with a recommended portion for up to 52 weeks of age. If you wish to continue with wet food after a year, Blue Buffalo offers adult wet cat food as well.
- 30 oz can, in a 24-pack bundle
- Packed with protein, veggies, and fruits
- Available in pate (ideal for kittens), flakes, morsels, or cuts
- Blue Buffalo was inspired by a family whose pet suffered from health issues and needed healthy food options.
Your kitten needs kitten food like this that provides great natural protein so they can thrive and grow in a healthy, uninhibited manner. This food has a mix of several different proteins to help your kitten avoid developing sensitivity to proteins if you were to mix up the flavors of food, as your kitten grows older.
- Grain-free kitten food with no fillers
- Only the best source protein is used, including cage-free chicken and grass0fed beef
- A balanced, nutritious meal in every serving
If your kitten is slated to be an indoor cat, you probably want to be selective with you’re the food you use for your indoor kitten. While you want to take ultimate care in feeding any kitten, when a litter box and house training is in play sometimes it can take tweaking to find the food that will be nutritious and not have adverse effects on their little digestive systems.
- 3-oz. pull-top cans in a 24-pack bundle
- Indoor qualities to reduce hairballs, digestive issues, and vomiting
- Purina Pro Plan offers a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied
- Outstanding taste for your kitten without compromising nutrients
This kitten food is sure to give your pouncing kitty the royal treatment. This wet food is made with thin slices soaked in a gravy blend to give your feline friend the best flavor and nutrition. Royal Canin provides an intuitive, balanced meal in this small can of kitten food.
- 3 oz. can in a 24-pack bundle
- Optimal balanced diet for a growing kitten
- Small thin slices in gravy making a great transition from wet to dry food
Give your kitten a gourmet, fancy dinner with this variety pack of canned kitten food. Fancy Feast delivers nutritional gourmet meals that will leave your kitten feeling fanciful. These are the ultimate treat kitten food, at an affordable cost.
- 3 oz. 24-pack cans in a variety pack
- Specially formulated for kittens as they grow
- Balanced nutrition in a simple can feast
- Convenient pull-tab can
The Tiki Cat wet food was designed for kittens or adult cats. Tiki Cat comes in multiple flavor packs so you can mix up flavors or provide your kitten with their favorite flavor at all times. This canned food is made with high moisture content and is packed full of nutrients.
- High moisture content to provide your kitty with extra hydration
- Real ingredients for real nutritional benefits
- 8 oz. or 6 oz. cans
- Luau flavor has a hearty combination of chicken and fish in savory consommé
Science Diet is well-known for making quality pet food and this wet kitten food certainly lives up to expectations. This wet kitten food is one of the highest veterinarian recommended wet kitten foods on the market and is made in the USA with quality, trustworthy ingredients.
- Balanced nutritious diet in a wet cat food
- #1 Veterinarian recommended
- Ingredients designed to help your kitten grow strong and healthy
- Science Diet offers food for a variety of pets and pet ages, each specifically formulated
Your kitten deserves the best health you have to offer. Even if you intend to switch to dry cat food as your kitten grows, it’s a good idea to start them out with wet cat food, as they develop to boost their immune systems and digestive tracts.
We hope these recommendations help you in choosing a quality, wet food for your kitten so you can enjoy a long, healthy life with your kitten.